Skip to content
UFC legend saves parents from fire, then risks his life to save his dog
Credit: Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Mark Coleman, a former UFC star, was visiting his parents in the house where he grew up when he was suddenly awakened in the night by his Rottweiler Hammer, who smelled smoke. Coleman’s daughter (Morgan) said that a fire had started at around 4 a.m., and Coleman was quick to take action.

Coleman wasted no time in getting out of bed, and immediately headed for his parents’ bedroom to bring them to safety. Mom and Dad are safe and sound, thanks to Coleman’s prowess.

Coleman then immediately went back inside to retrieve Hammer, who hadn’t come out of the burning house. The UFC legend certainly acted like a hero, risking his life to save Hammer from the flames… a mission that ultimately failed and landed Coleman in a hospital bed.

Coleman, 59, found himself hospitalized in Ohio, fighting for his life due to severe injuries sustained during the fire… which ravaged the entire house. At one point in the coma, his daughter made it clear that her father needed 24-hour care, indicating the seriousness of the situation.

In the case of his dog Hammer, he did not survive, being swept away by the violent flames.

Important fact: Mark’s daughter is raising funds for all the expenses involved in caring for someone in the United States through a GoFundMe. The goal is to reach $50,000.

Good news at least, Mark has woken up and is responding well to tests.

More Content